Thursday 11 December 2008

Epistrophy







As I have been busy setting up house in a rather lovely part of Brooklyn, this past week had been spent mopping, dusting and lifting furniture. Needless to say, yesterday afternoon when I accidentally caught a glimpse of myself in one of the mirrors, I shrieked in disbelief. I looked like someone I did not want to look like - a housewife! No, not that housewives are not to be admired, but just the recollection of such a creature, creates a vision that one does not necessarily wish to be associated with. A hausfrau deeply embedded in the deepest recesses of a dark kitchen whose only adornments are a pursed mouth, a bun at the nape of her neck and an apron that has seen much use.

To escape this unbecoming image for a bit, I decided to meet a friend at a cafe called Epistrophy, tucked away in a side street of Soho. The cafe is perfect for a glass of wine, in this case a glass of Primitivo or to type onto a laptop like one of the dark and dreary writer types in the background seemed to be busy doing (probably writing a letter to his mother). My friend and I chatted, over the most delicious omelette and a Panino al Maile, a boneless pork pannini served with avocado and fontina cheese (yumm yummmmmm).

Then we talked some more. What else can two women of leisure do on a Wednesday afternoon? Epistrophy just blew me away with it's charm, old world elegance and fabulous food, not to mention the wonderfully affable service. Some more adventures are due here....Thank you for the lovely recommendation, G!

200 Mott St
New York, NY 10012

tel: (212) 966-0904

No comments:

Post a Comment