Tuesday 11 November 2008

Coffee, Tea or -Me?






I've always wondered about people that somehow have to have their habitual mug of coffee or tea right after they wake up. Do they need the rush or do they actually enjoy these beverages purely for their aroma, feel and taste?

Personally, I cannot drink more than a few sips of coffee. It makes the blood
rush to my head too suddenly and then
my heart beats
like that of a wild beast.
My eyes find it difficult to focus and then
a slight tremor is added to my limbs.
But then, goodness!
The aroma of a freshly brewed, little cup of coffee
like for example, Madras Filter
drives my senses
wild.

In NY, as in many parts of the country, this coffee fix is easily fixed by a rushed trip to Star-bucks or Dunkin Donuts. Both, I have found to be quite heinous to the palate. I, then resort to borrowed tastes from friend's coffee cups in restaurants. Sometimes there is delight in every sip and most times- alas! Need anything more be said? This quest for the most delicious cup (or sips in my case) seems to be an ongoing adventure.

Then, there is the slightly more delicate Camellia Sinensis or tea. A beverage that I steadfastly refused just because most Indians drink it morning noon and night, making it almost impossible to ignore. So I completely abolished it from my vision. Then about 7-8 years ago, I discovered that milk and tea don't always go together with ingredients like cardamom, ginger and spices (our Indian tea) but this beverage comes in many different shapes, sizes and aromas and does not always make the heart go pitter patter like that with coffee.

So along with Oolong, Puerrh and various types of white, green and golden teas, a taste for this slightly more delicate brew was discovered. Now, a few cups of Darjeeling or cups of one of the many assorted teas from around the world are part of my daily homage. It still has not been proven whether it's medicinal, herbal or ceremonial significance's have played any part in my health or demeanour. What can be said however is that it is a most pleasurable habit to acquire along with breakfast and a boyfriend. Maybe sometimes in the afternoon as well? Or just as a companion to a conversation with friends or colleagues.

For anyone of you that want to try something other than English Breakfast, do try the extremely robust and smoky Lapsang Soushong with some toast and butter or marmalade. And for the more gentler palate; Oolong or the many types of green teas will work just as wonderfully. And please- no milk or lemon! A dab of honey will do just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment