Saturday 2 April 2011

Cocktails @ Junoon








This afternoon at Junoon, seated on a truly beautiful jhula from Rajasthan, India, Robin Lewis and I discussed his knowledge and passion for cocktails.

Priya Singh: How did you find yourself in New York?

Robin Lewis: During my days in college and in the summertime I used to work as a lifeguard around swimming pools. In the winter times I would work in restaurants. I did this for 3 years until I arrived in the Hamptons and did my rounds at various places. Then I went to South Beach and finally learnt the ropes as a professional at Smith & Wollensky. I came back to New York and just ended up staying. The energy and the life of this city keeps me here.

Priya Singh: Cocktails.....?

Robin Lewis: The craft of creating cocktails has always been highly respected in New York. It died for a few decades but in the past few years has come alive again. There is an art to it, it is about building something, creating new ideas. It is not as broad as wine or beer or has their history. I love it because it is fun and I find inspiration working with chefs. Along with the combination of ingredients and food, the application of ideas for pairing food & wine with wine and cocktails motivates me.

Priya Singh: What is your favourite drink?

Robin Lewis: My favourite drink- is the bartenders choice. Where that person can be at their most creative. Although I like bourbon in the winter and Tequila during the summer time.

Priya Singh: Your favourite food?

Robin Lewis: Really simple regional American cooking which focuses on fresh ingredients....other than that I love tacos!

Priya: Favourite cocktail places in NY?

Robin Lewis: There are so many..
1. Flat Iron Lounge
2. Employees Only
3. Macau
4. Dutch Kills in Long Island City, Queens.

Priya Singh: Favourite cocktails?

Robin Lewis: A good Negroni (traditionally made) and a Southside Fizz.

All photographs by Priya Singh
except for the last photo from the top which
was shot by Mr. Lewis

27 W 24 th Street, NY
Tel: 212 490 2100

6 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. Thank you for the amazing photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Junoon just got 2 stars from the NYT review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome. You hit the spot...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, P- I will call you tomorrow, need some info for Indian food.- Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! I am glad that people relish this blog other than myself.

    ReplyDelete