Monday 9 November 2009

The Oak Room






CLOSED VENUE:

I had arrived in New York with a suitcase and a penchant for life. A gentleman with a penchant for dark hair extended his hospitality by inviting me for drinks at the Oak Room. A little green behind the ears and yet curious, I ordered a Johnny Walker red and leaned back to study the view. Now this happened a long long time ago and by this time the Oak Room had lost it's former glory and was overstocked by bored waiters and overtly curious tourists.

This particular afternoon almost 13 years later on the suggestion of Mons. M, I decided to check out the renovated Plaza Hotel. Behold my surprise! I find the Oak Room to be at it's most elegant. The incredibly carved panelled woodwork has been polished through years of cigar smoke and cleverly lit wall murals added an almost ethereal glow to the bar and the dining room. The waiters were walking around with big smiles and there one can sense the ease in the atmosphere which was non existent almost 12 years ago sooooooo even it's for a coffee or a peg of some Johnny Walker on the rocks-check it out!

The Oak Room
10 Central Park South
New York, NY 10019

Tel: (212) 758-7777

1 comment:

  1. WOW! There was a reason why I haven't visited the Oak Room for years. Have to go for a coffee now. Or maybe that Johnny Red.

    ReplyDelete